Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Summer Days and Happy Meals

Well, the muse has struck me again. Yes, that's right--I got hit by a truck that was transporting an old 1950's era juke box.

Ok, not really. I started writing another song. I think I should start recording them before I forget them. That is why I bought all this expensive recording equipment, right? And then of course there's all the neat software I pira.... purchased legally from a legal software distributor who sells completely legal copies of expensive professional recording software. Ehem...

I wanted to write something that had the same feel and sound of the innocence and playfulness of Frank Sinatra or Harry Connick Jr. I played around with my guitar for about an hour and ended up writing most of the song. I still need to finish it up, but at this point it's just lyrics that need to be completed. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll go months without writing anything, and then suddenly I'll want to write a song and I'll do it. That's why I'm not sure if I could ever be a professional songwriter or musician (aside from the obvious lack of talent and good looks). I don't think I'd write good songs if I was under a deadline or pressured to write something to finish off the album so we could ship it out as soon as possible. I think that's why most bands' second albums suck. The first one is great because it's their first big push and it's got the whole heart and soul of the entire band in it. After they make it big with that first album they tend to kick their heels up a bit and write stuff just because they know people will buy it based off the success of the first album and the quicker they can spit out the second album the bigger the payoff will be because all the hype is still hot from the first one.

Of course, that's if the band even writes their own music. So many musicians these days aren't even so much musicians as simply performers. A name and an image to go with the certain style of music that the record label decides to pair with a team of writers. Is there nothing pure and sacred anymore?

Oh, and on an almost totally unrelated note but still sort of related - what the heck has happened to all the bowl games? Honestly! I don't know what these big corporations are thinking by spending (presumably) millions of dollars to change the name of the bowl game to something that nobody wants to say anymore. When I heard "Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl" I thought it was some millionaire's pointed jab at all the other stupid names for bowl games. I was horribly let down to realise it was not. Now we just identify the bowl game by who is playing and ignore the name. Does it really pay for itself, Mr. Gaylord? Do you really get more business from it? Or is it just so all your millionaire friends can be jealous and say "Ooh, I want a bowl game." I think it's retarded. That, and the fact that there's eighty kajillion bowl games now. It wasn't too long ago that it used to mean something when your favorite team went to a bowl game. Instead of bowl games they should rename them to "Yet Another Corporately Funded Chance to Watch Your Favorite Team Play Football At Some Other Stadium Against Some Other Team That Probably Isn't Very Good Either." Though you'd probalby have to stick a "The McDonald's" in front of that.

My family was moving out of the San Fransisco area when Candlestick Park was renamed 3com Park. That was a dark day for humanity. I mean, honestly--have some dignity. God bless America to stop whoring itself out to the almighty dollar.

No comments: